Recent Posts

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas Music


One of my favorite children's movies is The Secret Garden. The whole movie has an ethereal tone and I love the setting in the English countryside, the dreamy colors, and of course the house and gardens. I love that it isn't a typical children's movie with incessant talking and over saturated images. For the most part, the viewer is left to explore the movie as the tale unfolds in relative quietness. It's a movie that I can't wait to show my little girl and hope that she comes to love it as much as I do.

How does this relate to Christmas music? During one of the scenes where Mary is passing the kitchen, a maid is singing the song Greensleeves. That slightly haunting tune has stuck with me all growing up and because of that movie, I have always loved the song "What Child Is This" come the holiday season. It's hard to find someone who accurately portrays the feeling of the song but I think Faith Hill's rendition of it is quite beautiful (which is surprising, since I do not like her music otherwise). 

I think too many people get caught up in the commercial aspect of Christmas and forget that the holiday should be spent celebrating our Savior's birth. I always tell people that I don't like Christmas music and for the most part that is true, as far as what most people classify as Christmas music. However, I can't wait until December rolls around so we can sing the Christmas hymns in church and sing about the birth of our Savior. So other than the hymns sung in church, here are a few Christmas songs that I enjoy listening to and that I feel truly exemplify the REAL meaning of Christmas. 

"What Child Is This"  Faith Hill
"O Come O Come Emmanuel"  Enya
"Carol of the Bells"  Straight No Chaser
"O Holy Night" Katherine McPhee

All this holiday music makes me wish I was decorating for the holidays!


I really want these white nutcrackers from West Elm!

1 comments:

Rasmussen Family said...

I am the exact same way! I love the religious christmas music waaay more than all the santa ho ho ho stuff. You should make me a cd of all your faves...

Post a Comment